Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A PRISONER OF BIRTH

First of all I have to say that it took me almost 5 months to finish this book. I started it almost 4 or 5 times but the starting was so boring that I couldn’t complete it. But once I crossed the first 150 pages it became interesting. At last I finished it yesterday!

The first part of the book looks like a copy from a Grisham’s book and is very boring. I would say Archer is not that good with court scenes, but he’s very good with drama and explaining business battles. This is exactly why the latter part of the book was interesting. The second part is fully about life in a jail and the next part is about business battle and revenge. These two parts are a good read, and I finished the last 300 pages in about 3 days. (actually trying to divert my mind, so have lots of time to read.)

The book’s name “A Prisoner of Birth” doesn’t suit this story according to me. The book actually tells how a guy’s life changes into a tragedy because of tragic happenings of one night, which will haunt him for another 5 years. And all the tragic incidents does not happen to the hero because of how he was born or as who he was born, but indeed because of how badly his enemies wanted to escape from jail term. The title would suit films like “step up” or “coach carter” more appropriately, where the kids try to get out of their life style (which would have ruined their future) and end up working hard for a good future.

Finally my take on this book is that there are many books out there which are very good, and so don’t waste your time on this one. And I’ll rank this book at bottom of all the Jeffrey Archer’s book that I have read till now and I guess I have read most of his books.


Books to be reviewed : Irrational Exuberance, Intelligent Investor, Snowball.
Current Reading: Investment Fables, Security Analysis.

1 comment:

  1. am not much of an archer fan... but this bit by christo definitely helped me take a call on buy-no buy!! :)

    ReplyDelete